Yum! Butter cookies! These are absolutely one of my favourites at Christmas time, and are perfect with either a tall glass of milk (because it is summer in Australia at Christmas time), or a delicious mug of hot chocolate… or spiked egg-nog!
They are equally delicious the rest of the year as well, and a good recipe for kids too.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 125g butter
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan forced). Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Beat caster sugar, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Add flour (sifted) and baking powder and mix until even, doughy consistency.
- Add milk and stir until combined.
- Take a dessert spoon sized chunk of mixture and roll into a ball. Place on the baking tray, and press down slightly with a fork, leaving four little lines in the mixture (I totally forgot this step when I made mine, so you won’t see little lines in the cookies in the photo).
- Repeat until all the dough is gone.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a golden colour.
- Allow to cool.
- Sprinkle lightly with icing sugar (powdered sugar) before serving.